Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes


One of the more delightful surprises in fiction in recent years, this Keyes book was a beach read that turned out to be a little more than that. I’ve read quite a few of Keyes books before but this one is probably my favorite of hers…it’s fresh and engaging and simply delightful. Told from the POV of three London ladies: 1. Gemma, who has a neurotic mother and is still mourning the loss of her stolen-out-from-under-her-by-her-best-friend boyfriend…2. Lily, who is the best friend who stole Gemma’s boyfriend…and 3. Jojo, a literary agent who ends up representing both Gemma and Lily. I loved the way Keyes weaved all three stories together…yet giving each of the 3 enough space for us to get to know them all. Even though each change of character is marked with the ladies’ name before the chapter, towards the end, we knew each of the three enough to know whose part we were reading. A great way to tell a fun, entertaining story!

3 comments:

  1. I never thought I would be a Keyes fan but I really enjoy some of her books.
    Reading this one currently - definitely have a go at This Charming Man - it was my first of hers and led me to read the rest! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed, Beth. I have ready almost everything by her and yes, I have enjoyed most. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, I'm gonna keep an eye on you - see if you have anything to recommend :) x

    ReplyDelete